9/28/2015

What's Wrong with your pa$$wOrd?

Image result for what's your password
http://www.creditsesame.com/blog/a-hackers-favorite-password/


I decided to do my rhetorical analysis paper on the Ted Talk titled "What's wrong with your pa$$wOrd?" by Lorrie Faith Cranor.  In this speech Lorrie discusses all the things we are doing wrong when creating new passwords. A few of the things she mentioned were length, the use of common names, and the reuse of old passwords. Listening to Lorrie speak really hit me pretty hard.  I had never really given much thought to what I should be doing when making a new password.  I always figured simple and using the same basic format for all of them was smart because then I couldn't forget it.  Lorrie gives some really good advice on using noun/verb alternation in order to come up with random passwords that are both long and random.  She goes on to also explain how because the nouns and verbs are making a slight sentence they are easier to remember.  This speech has really made me start to think twice on using my same usual passwords. I highly recommend everyone to watch this speech and just stop and think about for a little while.   If you are anything like me it will be the best 17 minutes you ever spent.

This is the link in order to get straight to the talk in case I persuaded you to watch it: https://www.ted.com/talks/lorrie_faith_cranor_what_s_wrong_with_your_pa_w0rd

No comments:

Post a Comment